Budapest, Hungary...

Visiting a new country and arriving at night can be a little scary.  I left Berlin very late and the plane landed around 7 pm.  Since I only have my big carry-on backpack, I went straight towards the money exchange area to get Hungarian Forint.

Note:  Exchanging money at the airport here is NOT recommended here.  The exchange rate is very low compared to doing it in the city center - which I find very safe.

Taking the 100E Bus from the airport to the city center was a breeze.  It cost 900 HUF (or $3.45 as of this post) and the trip takes about 40/50 minutes depending on the traffic.  Tickets can be purchased on the information center just before getting out of the airport.

I used visitacity.com as guide for places to visit (on limited time) while checking tripadvisor.com to see if the places recommended is worth it.

As the guide suggested, I started my tour on The Chain Bridge.  Reminds me of old bridges across Europe.  I only made it halfway since I have a full day of walking.


The walk along the Danude River to the House of Parliament gave me a great view of Buda (I found out on my last day the which is the Buda side and the Pest side).

Considered one of the biggest parliament building in the world, this place looks more like a palace than a government building.


St. Stephen's Basilica over-tower the city center in Pest.  It has a big plaza in-front (like most cathedrals across the world) and surrounded by hotels and eatery.
 


The National Opera House looks old, really really old.  I had no time to look around as the place is under renovation but from what I read, the interior is as magnificent as the exterior.


To learn more about Budapest, visiting the National Museum is a must.  They have exhibits from the pre-historic era, world-war era, and the present.


Central Market Hall's exterior does not look like a market at all.   It looks more like an old factory or a central train station.  The inside is a big as the outside.  The 2nd floor is where most souvenirs stores are located and also a great selection of traditional Hungarian food (at tourist price of course so be mindful of that).

Note:  I was able to exchange my money here at  a higher rate than the airport.






     

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About Me

Growing up, I used to want to change the world. Now, I just don't give a damn.

instagram

friends i stalk

Friends