Maligcong Rice Terraces


One of the most amazing trips I’ve taken and also one of the most exhausting as well.

The idea started when my mom and I watched a tv show hosted by Atom Aurelio (a local reporter).  I got intrigued and an plan was made - the next time I go back home, I will go north and view this majestic rice terraces.

PLAN, PLAN, PLAN!!!!

For every trips I take, I use all available online resources.  I use tripadvisor, bloggers, and vloggers.  Travel sites like lonelyplanet and frommers are great but they tend to generalize the locations.  I prefer the bloggers and vloggers because you can tell if they like it or not based on how they react...writing or video.


January 24th to January 26, 2020
 
Day 1 (Manila to Baguio)

There is direct bus that can take you from Manila to Bontoc - which usually travels at night.  Since I want to enjoy my night time by going to bar, a club or a restaurant, I decided to take a stopover at Baguio first before heading to Bontoc.



**Mines View Park, Baguio...
**Enjoying a SanMig at local in restaturant the night before the 4 hrs bus ride from Baguio to Bontoc...
If you can afford, I highly recommend taking the Joybus (about 790 persos per person).  Booking online was very easy and you can select a seat in advance - which I do suggest.  Try to do it as soon as you can as the bus get sold out very quickly.  On the day I left, 2 passengers had to be turned away because it was full.  There might be some no show but I wouldn’t recommend taking that risk.

Upon arriving at Baguio bus terminal (near SM), we had to trek a bit to get to our hotel - located on the north side of Burnham Park.

After dropping our bags, we head out to search for the bus terminal that will take us to Bontoc. 

There are two bus terminal options.   One is located near the city center (Dangwa Terminal) while the other one is situated just past the market (Rising Sun Bus Station).  We took the one near the city center since it’s more convenient for us.  The bus tickets are not sold in advance.  It’s on a first come first serve basis. 

Day 2 (Baguio to Bontoc to Maligcong)

They opened the bus ticket booth at 5 am.  We were hoping to get the 6 am bus (the first one) but got there late so we had to settle for the 7 am.  Here’s another thing to remember.  Even though the bus has a scheduled time, it actually leaves when the bus is full.  Not knowing about this, we made a mistake of going somewhere for breakfast.  We got back to the terminal at 6 am and our bus was already ready to leave.  Of course they cannot leave until those who paid are not there yet.  But believe me when I say this....your fellow passengers will express their frustrations once you enter the bus - side comments and evil eyes.  YOU’VE BEEN WARNED!!! Luckily for us, we were not the last one.  We had to wait for 30 minutes for 3 other passengers.  There were seated at the back so they got the nasty comments.  So, the 7 am bus left at 6:30 am.

**The bus that took us from Baguoi to Bontoc...
The road trip from Baguio to Bontoc is a sight to see...and if you have fear of heights, a nightmare.  It’s a very winding road and majority of time you are staring at the edge of a cliff.  My niece kept telling me to look out the window knowing that I’ll be looking at hundreds of feet dropped to the bottom of nowhere, I just ignored her.   

**Amazing view but 99.9% of the time, it was cliff...
After arriving at Bontoc, we took a short walk to the Jeepney terminal (literally a few short walks).  Ask for the jeep (cost about 25 persos per person) that goes to Maligcong town proper.  Mind you, they packed the jeep to capacity.  And if you are into adventure, you can sit on top of it.

Suzette’s  Maligcong Homestay

This particular homestay is mentioned on most of the blogs that I’ve reviewed.  And let me tell you, all of them were right.  It’s a home away from home.  I was greeted by Ate Suzette herself and warmly welcomed us to her place.  She even took us to our room.



**Savory home cooked lunch pre-hiking...
Selfishly, I booked the only two private rooms (1,000 pesos per room).  I don’t mind the shared room option but at a great price for having privacy, why not.  The rooms were big and so are the private bathrooms.  The beds are big enough to fit 2, maybe 3 if skinny.  Since we did have any food to cook, we opted to have the meal plan – which cost us 150 persos per person.

Mt. Fato


**Mt. Fato peak marker.  An IG must...
We wasted no time once we arrived.  We dropped of our stuff and prepared for our hike to Mt. Fato.  We met our guide for the trips, Maymay (I hope I spelled her name correctly).  She was young and energetic...which was great especially for non-hikers like my nieces and nephew.

**My nieces and nephew thinking.......this climb sucks!!! LOL!!!
This was an easy climb but you definitely need to be physically active before climbing this mountain.  There are sections where it becomes semi-vertical incline and most of it on the top portion.  On the day that we climbed, there was a slight drizzle so some sections especially the rocky part was slippery.

NOTE: Do NOT eat a lot before climbing.  My niece and I binge on chichiria during the whole bus ride from Baguoi to Bontoc and let’s just say we paid the price during the climb.  I sweated the whole time because I feel so bloated while my niece threw up.  She felt better afterward but I on the other hand just suffered the whole time.

There’s a curfew at Maligcong.  Lights out at 10 pm.

Day 3 (Maligcong Rice Terraces, Sea of clouds, and Mt. Kafafey)


**Maligcong Rice Terraces and the sea of clouds...
Wake up time call if you want to see the sunrise is at 4:30 am (this was in January).  If your group has a straggler, you may want to get up earlier.  Luckily for me, my companions are all young and hype to see the view. 

The climb is more difficult than the first one....not because of the climb but because it is very very dark.  Make sure to have a headlamp, flashlight, or a fully charged cellphone to use as flashlight.  Since it dark, the climb is a bit faster since there’s no view to look at.  Well, except bumping into a carabao eating grass. 


There are sections closer to the top that is a flat open field.  Yes, it was a relief when you are climbing up.  At this point, I recommend looking up.  The view of the sea of stars on a dark night is just magnificent.  I live in a bright city so I do not see the night sky. 

Once you hit the top, start looking for a spot for your IG moments.  I didn’t expect the big crowd but then again, it was the weekend.  Maymay (our guide) suggested a spot but due to my fear of heights I opted to stay where there’s a flat surface.  My niece and nephew on the other hand ventured further...oh for the love of god, I was praying that nothing happen to them otherwise my head is on the chopping black. 

If yesterday's mountain climb was breathtaking, this one basically is out of this world.  The sea of clouds, the rice terraces, the sunrise, the trees, the grass....and on and on and on.  I can't describe the beauty of this place.  Yes, the travel, the climb, the long waiting for the sun......it was all worth it.  I highly recommend coming here.  



**Looking for an IG spot...without any obstractration to the view...
**My niece and I....yes, we both have fear of heights...

**The view is AHHHHHMAZING....
We didn't stay long as we had to be back at Bontoc to catch a 10:30 am bus ride back to Manila.  We took some time though on the way down as we have not seen the view on the way up (remember, it was dark when we trek this).  Our guide took us on a detour where it will take us to a path towards the rice terraces.  Yes, we literally walked on the rice terraces.  It was a bit muddy....oh yeah, its a rice field, DUH!!! 

**Walking on the actual maligacong rice terraces was treat....and slippery...
By the time we eat breakfast, shower, and packed our bags, it was time to catch the jeep from Maligcong to Bontoc.  Try to catch the jeepney on time otherwise the next one is not until a few hours.  The trip back to Bontoc took longer as it goes to different places to pick up passenger...and it was fully packed - inside and also on the roof. 

We had enough time to walk around the city of Bontoc.  We went to the pickup point for the Coda bus line 30 minutes early as suggested (cost about 970 persos per person I believe).   For this one, make sure to book your ticket in advance.  This one also gets filled very quickly.   There were a few passengers without reservation and they basically sat on either the floor or stand the whole trip (they still pay the same fee of a seated passenger).  Also, try to avoid booking the back seat.  Yes, it’s very very bouncy back there.  But that is not the worst. With every curve the bus takes, you will feel it as well.  And for those of you who have taken this route, you know that this route is very curvy.  I think I got dizzy at one point that I just decided to sleep it off.

They do stop for lunch outside the city of Banaue.  The food selections are decent and so is the price.  Fried chicken in my books is always a safe choice if you do not know the rest of the menu.

We arrived in Manila close to 11 pm…..YES, that’s over 12 hrs on a bus.


Would i do it again??

ABSOLUTELY!!!


1 comments:

 

About Me

Growing up, I used to want to change the world. Now, I just don't give a damn.

instagram

friends i stalk

Friends